Today is National Pet Day!
Created in 2006 by animal welfare advocate Colleen Paige, April 11 is National Pet Day. It is a day “to celebrate the joy pets bring to our lives and to create public awareness about the plight of many different kinds of animals awaiting a forever home in shelters all across the nation.
The day, sponsored by the Animal Miracle Foundation & Network, isn’t just for dogs and cats either. It is meant to be a day to celebrate all non-exotic pets…from your pet Geico gecko to your own little porky Babe to the little Tweety Bird squawking in the corner.
The main concept behind National Pet Day is that all pets need love and the day tries to celebrate and promote that, as well as raise awareness for the approximately 16,000 animals that die at shelters every day in the United States.
Paige is quoted in an online article speaking about National Pet Day:
National Pet Day is a day to celebrate the pets in your life but also to encourage adoption! Almost any pet you might like to add to your family can be found at a shelter or rescue. Pet stores are supplied by animal brokers and puppy and kitten mills which neglect and abuse animals and continue to perpetuate the overpopulation of unwanted animals in this country. Always ADOPT instead of SHOP!
5 Things You Can Do To Celebrate National Pet Day
- Volunteer an hour at your local shelter this week (and tell your friends about all the adorable little guys just waiting for them to give them a loving home).
- Find a new pet with recycler.com’s pet listings. Get a new puppy or find a rescue that would love to come home with you.
- Treat your pet to something special. Pick up something from the Pet Bakery, if there is a local one in your neighborhood. Or take an extra long walk. Or a long car ride if that’s what they enjoy.
- Have family movie night with a pet movie. I recommend Homeward Bound or Finding nemo! Have your family pets join in on the fun…I’m sure they’ll enjoy the popcorn.
- Change your profile photo on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest or whatever your social media of preference is, to your favorite photo of your pet.